Edinburgh Park

Opened: 8th December, 2003.

Edinburgh Park Station is situated in the west of Edinburgh and serves Edinburgh Park industrial estate and Hermiston Gait shopping centre. The station opened on 8th December, 2003, and it is the first intermediate station between Haymarket and Linlithgow since the closure of Ratho and Philipstoun Stations on 18th June, 1951. The station has two platforms linked by a large covered footbridge, which is accessible by either stairs or a lift. There is also a pedestrian underpass just outside the station, accessible from both platforms. Tickets are available from two ticket machines. The line through Edinburgh Park station was electrified using 25kV AC overhead catenary in October 2010 as part of the Airdrie to Bathgate Rail Link project. The first tram, under test and without passengers, called at the adjacent Edinburgh Park tram stop on 8th October, 2013. When the tram stop, along with the entire route from Edinburgh Airport to York Place, opened at the end of May 2014, the station becoming a fully-staffed rail/tram interchange. Ticket barriers came into use at the station on 25th March, 2015.

Wikipedia page.


Seen just after sunrise on the freezing cold morning of 3rd December, 1966, ex-LNER Class B1 4-6-0 No. 61278 heads the British Rail (Scottish Region) Last B1 Loco Excursion westwards along the Edinburgh & Glasgow main line. This railtour travelled via Bathgate, Airdrie and the Glasgow & South Western main line to Carlisle Kingmoor, and returned to Edinburgh via the Waverley Route. The landscape at this location has changed drastically over the past fifty years: the near side of the line is now occupied by Bankhead Drive and Hermiston Gait shopping centre while on the far side is Edinburgh Park industrial estate, and the train is approaching the site of the present day Edinburgh Park Station. Full details of the railtour can be found here. [Brian Flannigan]

Collapse )

Greenhill Upper Junction

At Greenhill Upper Junction the Edinburgh & Glasgow line connects with the Scottish Central route, which runs from Greenhill Lower to Perth.


Brush Type 4 (Class 47) No. 47 702 Saint Cuthbert approaches Greenhill Upper Junction from the west with the 12.00 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh train, circa 1986. [Roger Siviter]

Avon Viaduct


On 4th May, 1980, preserved North British Railway Class C 0-6-0 No. 673 Maude heads west across the Avon Viaduct on the western outskirts of Linlithgow with the Edinburgh to Larbert leg of the SRPS Rainhill Commemorative railtour. Full details of the railtour can be found here. [Roger Siviter]

Diagrams, maps & plans


Map showing the development of railways in west-central Scotland from 1826 to 1842. Until the latter year, these five 4' 6" gauge lines were isolated from any main lines. The map also shows the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals and the standard-gauge Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, which was the first main line to serve the area. [David Anderson]

Collapse )

Cowlairs


A view from Cowlairs Station towards the top of Cowlairs Incline during the era of cable-haulage, circa 1893. 'Up' trains would stop at the signals in the centre of the photograph to detach from the cable before proceeding. The stationary engine house which powered the haulage cable is on the left, while part of Cowlairs Works can be seen on the right. [Mitchell Library]

Collapse )

Falkirk High

Opened as Falkirk: 21st February, 1842.
Renamed Falkirk High: 1st February, 1903.

Falkirk High Station is one of two stations serving the town of Falkirk, Stirlingshire. It is situated on the Edinburgh & Glasgow line on the southern edge of Falkirk, close to the Union Canal. The station opened as Falkirk with the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway on 21st February, 1842. Edinburgh-bound services initially terminated at Haymarket, but were extended to the North British Railway's station at Edinburgh Waverley in 1846. The NBR took over operations in 1865 when it absorbed the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway. In 1903, the station was renamed Falkirk High in order to differentiate it from Falkirk Grahamston and Camelon on the Stirlingshire Midland Junction line. Falkirk High station is open and staffed seven days-a-week. Services are operated by ScotRail. During off-peak hours four trains in each direction stop at the station: four to Glasgow via Croy, and four to Edinburgh via Polmont and Linlithgow. The service is half-hourly each way in the evenings. Journey times to Edinburgh vary from 27 minutes to 38 minutes depending on stopping patterns and time of day; to Glasgow the journey time varies between 18 and 26 minutes. On Sundays there is a half-hourly service in each direction. Falkirk High Station is home to a metal sculpture, 'Antonine the Legendary Engine' by George Wyllie. This sculpture is considered to be of sufficient importance to have been listed and protected by the Railway Heritage Committee.

Wikipedia page.


Headed by ex-LNER Class D49 4-4-0 No. 62704 Stirlingshire, a Glasgow Queen Street to Kirkcaldy train approaches Falkirk High Station on 18th February, 1956. [R.C. Nelson]

Collapse )